Saturday 6 August 2011

The Beckhams are minted


I wrote a story earlier for tomorrow's showbiz column about the Beckhams blowing nearly half a million pounds on a nanny for their new baby daughter Harper Seven.
Without really thinking about what I was saying, I turned to one of the sub-editors and flippantly said; "Is it really that much of a big deal? £500,000 isn't that much to spend per year on a nanny. Not if you're Victoria Beckham."
He looked at me dumbfounded.
Seriously. What world do I live in?
I think I've got far too bogged down with showbiz nonsense. I'm genuinely not sure I really have any grip of reality as to how much everything costs.
The average man in the UK earns £19,000, so it's probable that Posh and Becks spunking half a million on a nanny for just one of their four kids is utterly ridiculous.

They're worth (combined) £146million and earn something silly like £200,000 a day. So in theory it's spare change to them.
My sub-editor then started questioning how much I thought stuff costs.
It turns out I have no idea how much anything costs. A pint of milk (I guessed £1.50), a loaf of bread (again £1.50), a pint of larger (£4, £4.50) but more worryingly I thought it was £3.50 to go to the cinema, apparently it's £10 in some places! Shows how long it's been since I've paid.

I'm going to start being more financially aware, as to be honest, I never think about it and just hand over my credit card. #fail

For anyone that cares here's the full Beckham article from the Daily Star...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/goss/view/204798/David-and-Victoria-Beckham-s-400k-nanny/

No comments:

Post a Comment