Sunday 16 January 2011

Fishy Feet

This week I was invited for a fish pedicure at Anesis Spa in Clapham.
You've probably heard about this new fishy craze which has been making waves in beauty mags.
Bascially you put your tootsies into a tank of fish and they nibble the dead skin off your feet. Simple.




I was a bit squeamish at first, but excited about getting stuck in.
The tank is full of black garra rufa fish - slightly smaller than the average goldfish.
After taking the plunge, I started squealing like a little girl. Yep, embarrassing.
The sensation is bizarre, really ticklish but also really slimy. Hundreds of fish are nibbling away at my toes.
As long as you don't look down,  it's easy to forget what's happening.
I spent the next 30 minutes doing exactly that. Just dangling my feet in the water while focusing on anything but slimy fish wriggling in between my toes. I finally start to relax. And after the initial 10 minutes of weirdness I finally started to enjoy it.


My feet are now definitely softer and smoother. Albeit it, covered in fish saliva (which apparently has a unique healing protein).

I'd definitely go to the spa again, and in hindsight, the initial freakiness of the treatment makes it more fun.

However, my friend (glamour model) Francoise Boufhal hated every minute of it and after a chorus of squeals had to remove her feet instantly.

Poor Francoise having a hard time of it
 
It's definitely worth going, even just to laugh at your mates squirming like little kids...ha ha, sorry Franny.

No comments:

Post a Comment