Monday 25 July 2011

Ghost The Musical - a review

When my friend Sonja invited me to go to see Ghost The Musical I thought it would be a load of cheesy nonsense.
I love going to the theatre, and I like a good musical. But the early 90s film Ghost staring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore and Whoppi Goldberg was a romantic fantasy...pure fromage. And based on the word "ditto".

It's far to say I wasn't expecting much. Apart from a few tears at the end when he (Sam) finally went off to heaven.
However, it was brilliant, I seriously recommend it.
Nothing like the superficial American drivel I expected.
It's fast paced, intense, dramatic, edgy, gritty... I was completely absorbed within the first 10 minutes.
Set in New York so it has a really fresh, contemporary vibe with the cast body popping like street dancers. The psychedelic lighting was really sharp and dramatic. The menacing subway ghost in the infamous underground train scene was fantastic. A black guy with huge grey/white dreadlocks who rapped, ranted and snarled through his singing parts.

The show is full of smoke and mirrors - the special effects make it stand out against any other musical I've seen for years.
Cast members impressively jump in and out of dead bodies and throw people up, down and through walls. Very clever.

Yes it has the cheesy pottery wheel scene but it also has sexy business men and woman zooming around on conveyor belts dancing to the beat of green strobe psychedelic lights.
And psychic Oda Mae Brown is hilarious. Flirty, flithy and fun.

This musical makes others look drab and old hat.
I'm sure there are many middle-age art critics who've panned Ghost The Musical but that's because they're stuck in the past and don't appreciate a modern take on culture.
And the dramatic, atmospheric music is probably too loud for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment