Saturday 14 September 2013

It's been a while...

It dawned on me recently that I used to blog all the time. And, to be honest, I found it really therapeutic.
But for some reason I haven't written on my blog for nearly two years. This radio silence happened by complete accident.
I can't even lie and pretend the past 18 months have been a whirlwind.

Weeks after my last post in Nov 2011, I got engaged. Which, OK, was a pretty big deal. Not long after that I was asked by Wedding Ideas Magazine to start a weekly blog on their website documenting my plans, anxieties and the general build up to our wedding. Some of the articles are below, if you're interested.
Part one , Part two, Part three, Part four, Part five

wedding day

Me and my now husband Jimmy got married the following summer. I planned our wedding in six months and we got married in my parent's garden in July 2012. Well, in a church in my childhood village, but the reception/ dinner was held at my parent's house. I put my heart into organising our wedding, we didn't have a wedding planner, a restaurant manager, kitchen staff, waiters - all the usual people you have to help and advise you when you get married at venue. Instead we had to plan it all ourselves. We wanted a festival style wedding, so had giant tipi's, an open fire and a garden full of flower pots an gazebos.

Trying to organise a wedding on your own, in six months, while holding down a job as a tabloid newspaper showbiz editor was tough. When I wasn't at my desk writing my column, or out at night at a showbiz party searching for a story, I was beavering away on my laptop contacting flower suppliers, caterers, porta-loo services, looking at generators, choosing cake stands, trying to find a dress, organising the music and lighting, making table plans, creating invites, choosing favours. The list seemed endless at the time.

However, the wedding was a success. Everyone got drunk and danced all night. Both sets of parents had an amazing time, and I came away with a gorgeous husband.

Our wedding was covered in the real-life section of Wedding Ideas magazine and I've been writing health, beauty and celebrity features for the mag ever since.

Since then we were fluky enough to have two honeymoons. A week in Lake Como (a surprise wedding gift from my brother) and two weeks lazing around the Cook Islands before a week driving a camper van around New Zealand. All completely amazing, never to forget trips. 
 

Our private honeymoon beach in Aitutaki, Cook Islands
  
our campervan in New Zealand


No comments:

Post a Comment