Wednesday 2 February 2011

Something off Sex In The City

I had a weird realisation tonight while sitting around a table with some of my favourite girlfriends.
In between gulping Rose, scoffing nachos and homemade relish (made by my friend Nikki's fiance) I suddenly realised I've got a cool job and some of the best friends in the business.
I don't often dwell on such matters, and rarely even think about how lucky I am. Until tonight.

I went for dinner at my friend Nikki's flat in north London. She's a features journalist at The Sun, she's blonde, hot, young and already found the man of her dreams.
The other two dinner guests were my best mate Sam - a former journalist who now works at a top London PR company and my wonderful friend Ellie - a showbiz journalist for leading woman's magazine New!

Firstly, Ellie has the best name is showbiz, Ellie Piovesana - try spelling that when you've had a few. She's a cool bird, she could probably drink Kate Moss under the table and has some of the best jewellery this side of Vivienne Westwood.
Sam's been my loyal sidekick for 15 years, we lived our intoxicated University years living together and probably still cause as much mayhem now as we did then. It goes without saying she's one of a kind.

Anyway, as we sat and drank and debated work, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, other journalists, the desperation in PR's voices trying to pitch something shit over the phone and men... I realised we were the current day reality of a London Sex In The City scene (without the TV cameras or huge pay check, obviously. Or superstar glow.)

Four young women, working hard, playing hard and generally not really giving a crap about life except for cherishing the things we love.
I thought as an outsider we probably looked like a cliquey bunch of media types. We really aren't - just four girls from the Midlands, working hard in the Big Smoke.) It suddenly dawned on me, this was a moment worth remembering.
I always hoped to be successful enough in life to have a great job, great friends and a great social life. Bingo.

Nikki's modern day man Simon cooked chicken fajitas and spicy rice for us girls while we sat back and nattered like fish wives. He's a good egg.
When the conversation turned to communal wanking - men, not ladies, I realised it was time to call a taxi.
And yes, lads actually do this together, with their friends, in the same room! I know, weird or what? I hope to never see any of my mates 'sex faces' let alone hear their cries of that 'final moment'.
Simon also admitted, quite proudly, that as a kid he owned a sex sock. A sock he kept under his bed for times of.... ahem... solo fun. Sorry Si.

Anyway, I'm at home now and contently full and happy. I hope we always have these girlie nights, even when we're grey and wrinkly.

Ellie, Sam, me and Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment